BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, 8 February 2009

Defined by Opportunities, Even by Those Missed

"Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss" -The Curious Case of Benjamin Button


We are all born under different circumstances and situations. Some are born rich, some are born poor, some are born genius, some are born stupid. But no matter what environment that we grew up in, the surroundings, the friends, it doesn't really make you who you are, it all comes down to opportunities i.e. it's our choice on how we want to lead our lives. Say, in friendship, you have a bestfriend(s), you have the opportunity to just think of them as only a friend or an acquaintance, but you let that opportunity go. It defines you as someone who treasures friendships. If you have a bestfriend and then you got into a fight with them, and you became their worst enemies, it is because you took  the opportunity to, maybe, defend yourself of criticism or to make them realise that they are wrong.

All things are the way they are because you took the opportunity that was given to you or you decided not to take the opportunity that was presented to you. Sometimes, luck plays its role in making things the way they are. But that is only a small piece compared to opportunities that you took. It is just that you don't know what will happen once you took the opportunity.

I can say I've had my fair share of opportunities that I have taken and let go. There were some that I really know the consequences, the rest I didn't. All of them, however, have made numerous impacts in my life.  Some are good, some are bad. Some you just enjoyed taking the opportunity, some you just regretted. What I am and who am I being right now is the results of the opportunities that I have taken. There are also those opportunities that other people took and let go and had a hand in shaping me into what I've become. Friendships found and lost, love gained and lost, all these are the results from the opportunities from not just me, but by everyone else. However, not all things last forever. No matter how many opportunities we took, we will always end up losing those results, after a certain period of time. This is what we call fate.

"We are meant to lose the people we love. How else would we know how important they are to us?" -The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

0 comments: