I kept getting these questions "Why are you so interested in taking pictures?" or "A digital camera is enough to take pictures, so why do you need a DSLR?" from my friends. There are many events that happened that sparked my interest in photography, though I never intended to be a professional photographer. I've always been fascinated with pictures. Ever since I was young, I would always looked at posters of scenery and beautiful flowers and all. I just never really took notice of it. Until about 12 months ago.
I have a friend, Ben, of whom I have known since I entered Taylor's College back in 2006. He has always been great with cameras, he will take a picture out of nowhere but it looked great as if it was from a photo shoot or something. At that time, I was still not really into taking pictures, I just love having the feel of using a DSLR as if I am a professional photographer. Whenever he brings his camera, I'll be borrowing his just for fun and start taking pictures. That was a kick start for me.
But by the time I finished my A-levels, I still haven't buy a DSLR yet due to financial constraint. And then, I went to Cardiff University, where I met a lot of people who share the same enthusiasm as me. Teck Kang, Haneef and Hedzril were just to name a few. But it never really provide me with enough spark to convince me to buy one. I still need a reason. And I was thinking "Will it be worth it?".
I got my answer when I watched a movie called City of God. Now don't laugh just because I decided to buy a camera because of a movie. The fact is that the movie showed me that there are times when pictures are needed when most people thought it was nothing. In the naked eye, you would think that there isn't anything but after a picture is taken, it can bring about a whole new meaning. Let's take this picture for example:

When people look at this picture, they will think that it might be some poster or an ad about love and so on but actually it is not. This picture was taken in Madrid, Spain right in front of Casa Mila. All my friends were busy checking out the building and I spotted a couple kissing by the lamp post so I took a picture of it. With a little bit of adjustment to the colour of the pic and put in a nice effect, it sure looks like a poster from an old movie. Though I am not a fan in editing pictures, a simple effect would not hurt so much, would it? Now, here's a picture that I took during the HUJAN gig in Cardiff. Ladies and gentlemen, my friend, Iman.
This picture was taken while she was standing on a chair and enjoying the music at the same time. And no, I didn't edit this picture at all. With a few changes in the setting made in the camera, and puff, you got yourself a good picture. Well, as the saying goes "A picture worths a thousand words", well it is true. Very true. Some moments have to be captured as it is, to bring the freshness and clarity to the picture. If people are having fun, take pictures while they are having fun. It would be no fun if they stop just to have their pictures taken. There are times when you need to pose, and there are times when it all comes naturally. And that is why I love photography.
0 comments:
Post a Comment